There’s a lot to know about installing solar
Investing in solar power for your home can provide numerous benefits, including lower energy costs, a tax credit from the federal government, protection from rising utility rates, and improved environmental and air quality.
However, it is crucial to ensure the solar system is installed correctly to ensure peak performance for decades to come. Proper training and equipment are necessary to install a high-quality solar system.
SES was called in to service the system below. We were shocked!
- There isn’t enough clearance between the panels and the roof. Space for air to flow keeps the panels cooler; high heat lowers output.
- The wiring isn’t rated for outdoor exposure and isn’t in metallic conduit as it should be.
Good Air Gap
An air gap is important to allow heat to dissipate. A small gap, like the system above, will contribute to increased module temperature, which will result in lower energy output.
Proper Wire Management!
To safeguard the wiring from the elements, it is covered in a sturdy metallic conduit. Using unenclosed or PVC-covered wires is not feasible as solar panels generate power for 25 years or more.
How wrong is this? Let us count the ways
- This rail wasn’t designed for solar panels,
- The rail was attached to the roof using drywall screws,
- No flashings to prevent roof leaks, and
- The panels were attached to the rail by screwing through the panel frame, voiding the panel warranty.
Above, you see:
- Proper panel attachments using racking designed for solar panels.
- Racking is attached to the roof with footings and flashings. (We use self-sealing screws and GeoSeal to triple-guard against leaks)
- Panels are secured to the racking using specially designed clamps that do not penetrate the frames and are approved by panel manufacturers so they do not void the warranty.
At the top of the image is an optimizer. That piece of equipment should be mounted on the back side of the panel.
Solar Installer Checklist
We share this information to provide you with valuable knowledge about solar power and the essential points to keep in mind when selecting a solar installer. It is our hope that with this guidance, you can confidently make informed decisions that will help you avoid any complications like this in the future.
With over 17 years of experience in the solar and battery storage industry, SES is well-versed in the key factors that must be taken into account when selecting a solar installer. We have compiled a comprehensive list of these critical considerations to aid you in making an informed decision.